Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Eclipses and life.

On March 20th an eclipse of the Sun shadowed it's way across the UK.
The shadow spread itself from South to North within two hours of starting at 8.15 in the morning, and the sky grew eerily dull with a strange hue although, in the South of England, the cloud base prevented us for seeing the spectacle.

As I walked my dog in the morning twilight and the light was slowly fading, my thoughts wandered as to how the eclipse can be a metaphor for our ambitions in life. A sort of dimming in one's expectations in life.

When we were young we had dreams and aspirations and the world seemed to be at our feet. We could achieve anything with our life-line stretching out ahead of us into the distance.

As time moved on and we woke up to reality we slowly became aware that our dreams were not going to be realised. Life and responsibilities crowded in allowing our dreams to be pushed back to the recesses of our minds.
Maybe we are quite happy with this situation but, somehow, this has left us feeling that we have missed out and we haven't achieved what we could have achieved with the right breaks.

I had dreams of being big in business, an entrepreneur, and to this end I tried more than one venture to achieve my aims, all of which were unsuccessful.
Eventually I accepted that I would not make a businessman, and also gradually realised that earthly wealth is not important, but I take comfort in the fact that at least I tried too succeed - and I quite enjoyed it too.

I wonder how many do not achieve because of lethargy, idleness, procrastination or fear of failure?

It's interesting to note that many successful entrepreneurs will give you a story of struggle and hardship before succeeding, but they all persevered in the face of adversity.

Have you been holding on to a dream, hoping that one day your boat will come in?
I have news for you - it probably won't!

I am approaching my seventh decade and I am quite content in my position in life but some of you will still be able to achieve your dream with a bit of courage to enable you take the plunge - and the knocks that arise.

Don't let your ambitions be eclipsed and cast a shadow over the rest of your life. Take courage, take a risk if you need to. Persevere and achieve your dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment